Lissadell House is a neo-classical Greek revivalist style country house, located in County Sligo, Ireland. The house was built between 1830 to 1835 and constructed of Ballysadare limestone with finely jointed ashlar walling. An entrance front is on the north with a three-bay pedimented central projection, originally open to east and west to form porte-cochere.
Prior to its sale in 2003 Lissadell was the only house in Ireland to retain its original Williams & Gibton furniture which was made especially for the house and designed to harmonise with Goodwin’s architectural vision.
The house is located on the south shore of the Magherow peninsula in north County Sligo over looking Drumcliff bay. The estate was formed from land granted in the early 17th century to the Elizabethan soldier Sir Paul Gore for his services to the English crown during the Nine Years’ War. The original seat of the estate was at Ardtermon castle a 17th-century fortified house several kilometres to the west. The present house replaced an earlier 18th century house closer to the shore which was demolished.
The estate was once 32,000 acres but now consists of less than 500 acres, the immediate demesne of the house.
The house was the childhood home of Irish revolutionary, Constance Gore-Booth, her sister the poet and suffragist, Eva Gore-Booth, and their siblings, Mabel Gore-Booth, Mordaunt Gore-Booth and Josslyn Gore-Booth. It was also the sometime holiday retreat of the world-renowned poet, William Butler Yeats.
Since the sale of Lissadell in 2003, the stated aim of new owners Edward Walsh and Constance Cassidy was the restoration of this national treasure as a family home open to visitors, and the regeneration of the flower and pleasure gardens. Already they have reversed the decline and neglect of the previous seventy years and opened both the house and gardens to the public.